1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word for correcting incorrectly?

Discussion in 'Language & Culture' started by James McInnis, Oct 8, 2018.

  1. Is there a word or phrase for when someone corrects another person's statement, which is, in fact, already correct? Sometimes the "correction" can be wrong, or sometimes it can be redundant (as in my example below); I have not made the distinction. If no word (or phrase) exists, should we coin one?

    Example: In a discussion here about the title "Doctor," I stated that, when introducing oneself, the title is only properly used by physicians in U.S. culture outside of academic circles. The person "correcting" me listed dentists, surgeons, veterinarians, etc. who may also properly use the title doctor, occupations already covered by the term physician.

    Login To add answer/comment

Share This Page