1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skipping the defatting stage in extraction of alkaloids

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by user3256725, Oct 8, 2018.

1. user3256725

user3256725 Guest

I am attempting to extract certain alkaloids from green plant matter, which is very high in waxes and fats.

I understand that in this scenario it is common to first acidify and then use a non-polar solvent to de-fat the solution.

I am curious though: say I were to basicify and extract alkaloids without any de-fatting. If I were then to add HCl solution to the non-polar solvent which now contains the alkaloids, wouldn't this in theory be equivalent to the de-fatting stage? Wouldn't the alkaloids would now be in the aqueous layer, and the lipids would be stuck in the non-polar layer?

As the acid/base method is so common, I am wondering if there are any downsides to the method described above that I am unaware of. I only have enough material for one shot so I would just like to hear some input before I attempt this expedited method.

May main fear would be emulsions that wouldn't break up. Is this a valid concern that is remedied by a preliminary de-fatting stage? Are there other concerns I should be wary of?

Login To add answer/comment