1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase-Shifting Commutation

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Jordan McBain, Oct 8, 2018.

1. I posted a question a while ago about a circuit to realize a voltage controlled phase. I wasn't able to give a full discussion about why I was interested in the circuit at the time but I am in a position to do so now.

I have filed a provisional patent for "phase shifting commutation" with this abstract:

The apparatus employs magnetoresistive sensors (28) to generate a sinusoid having a time-varying frequency commensurate with the angular rate of change of a motor’s rotating shaft (40). The resultant signal is then fed to a mixture of fixed- and voltage-controlled phase shifting circuits (22, 64) (32) whose outputs are then amplified and fed to independently wired stator phases (56). The apparatus also includes a rotary transformer (24, 36, 46, 60) whose current is generated by amplifying a frequency-shifted version of this shaft sinusoid. The rotary transformer (24, 36, 46, 60) in turn supplies current to the rotor system’s electromagnet to generate a controllable magnetic on the rotor system despite the rotor system’s motion. [​IMG][​IMG]

My former employer is investigating this methodology and has the right to use the technology but I am in control of the IP. I am building a mini dynamometer chassis with BLDC motors and I want to build the circuitry to achieve this commutation technique so that I have something to demonstrate.

A voltage controlled phase shifting circuit seems entirely achievable as there are many available off the shelf that operate with center frequencies in the GHz range. Also consider that this technology is key to phased-array systems.

So I am wondering if anyone can help me build this phase-shifting circuit or can recommend some solution that I don't know about.

Login To add answer/comment