1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lyapunov exponent of singular values and operator norm

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Michal, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Michal

Michal Guest

Consider a product of i.i.d. $3\times 3$ random matrices $A_{i}$ (with $\mathbb{E}\log\left\Vert A_{i}\right\Vert <\infty$) acting on a non-zero vecor $V \in \mathbb{R^3}$, i.e. $$ A_{n}\cdots A_{1}X. $$

According Oseledets theorem,Lyapunov exponents describe the exponential growth properties of $$ \left\Vert A_{n}\cdots A_{1}X\right\Vert . $$ Thus we define the the Lyapunov exponent as $$ \lambda\left(X\right):=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\log\left\Vert A_{n}\cdots A_{1}X\right\Vert \;\;(1).$$

Let us assume for every points we have three Lyapunov exponent $$ \lambda_{3}\leq \lambda_{2}\leq\lambda_{1}. $$

Now, let $\sigma_{i,n}$ be the $i$th singular value of the matrix product $A_{n}\cdots A_{1}$ such that $$ \sigma_{3,n}\leq\sigma_{2,n}\leq\sigma_{1,n}. $$

then According to the Muliplicative Ergodic Theorem $$ \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\log\sigma_{i,n}=\lambda_{i}.\;\;(2) $$

Question what is related between (1) and (2) for second singular value?

I mean we know that $\sigma_{1}=sup_{v}\frac{||Av||}{||V||}$ and $\sigma_{3}=inf_{v}\frac{||Av||}{||v||}$, thus relation between (1) and (2) are clear.Does one know can we have explicitly formula for $\sigma_{2}$ like $\sigma_{1}$and $\sigma_{3}$?.

Login To add answer/comment