1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss Function Asymptotic Distribution

Discussion in 'Education' started by user191919, Oct 8, 2018.

1. user191919

user191919 Guest

I am trying to find the asymptotic distribution of a maximum estimator loss function of the type:

$$ \hat{\theta} = \arg \max_\tilde{\theta} M_n(\tilde{\theta},x) $$

$$ \theta = \arg \max_\tilde{\theta} M(\tilde{\theta},x) $$

Having settled that $\sqrt{n} (\hat{\theta} - \theta) \to N(0,V)$ where $\theta$ is the true value, my approach to determine the asymptotic distribution of the loss function is a simple taylor expansion of $M$ around $\theta$ evaluated at $\hat{\theta}$:

$$ n ( M(\hat{\theta},x) - M(\theta,x) ) = \sqrt{n} \nabla_\theta M(\theta,x) \sqrt{n} (\hat{\theta} - \theta) + n R(\theta,\hat{\theta},x) $$

Here I have trouble since $\nabla_\theta M(\theta,x) = 0$ since its an interior maximizer.

I suppose an alternative would be using a taylor expansion around $\hat{\theta}$ instead of $\theta$, which would yield:

$$ n ( M(\hat{\theta},x) - M(\theta,x) ) = \sqrt{n} \nabla_\theta M(\hat{\theta},x) \sqrt{n} (\hat{\theta} - \theta) - n R(\theta,\hat{\theta},x) $$

which I suppose under suitable assumptions would provide that $\sqrt{n} \nabla_\theta M(\hat{\theta},x) \to N(0,V_M)$. But then again, I now have a product of normals. Also, what would be an appropriate remainder formulation to show $R \to 0$?

Is this a productive path? Any hints or references are greatly appreciated. I am having difficulty in finding the latter.

Many thanks.

Login To add answer/comment