1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothesis testing for not identically distributed random variables conditioned on the...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ECR, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM.

1. ECR

ECR Guest

I encountered the following problem (I give more details of the problem at the end of the post) and I am trying to figure out the best way of performing a null hypothesis testing. I looked for similar questions (like this) but it does not fit exactly my problem.

I have a random vector $X = (X_1,...,X_N)$ of $N$ random binary variables, not necessarily independent and non identically distributed. These $N$ variables are divided into two subsets: $A$ with $N_A$ random variables and $B$ with $N_B$ variables ($N_A + N_B = N$), so I can also write $X = (X_A,X_B)$. I know the marginal distribution of each of the binary variables, as well as the first and second moments of the random vector.

Now I consider another random vector $Y = (Y_1,...,Y_N) = (Y_A, Y_B)$, from which I can only sample in two steps: first sample $Y_A$ (obtaining some string $(a_1,...,a_{N_A})$), and then sample $(Y_B | Y_A = (a_1,...,a_{N_A}))$. The null hypothesis is that $Y$ follows the same distribution as $X$.

The problem that arises here is that the set of possible outcomes for $A$ is too large, which means that the probability to obtain the same $a= (a_1, ..., a_{N_A})$ is negligible. Thus, the distribution of the random variables in subset $B$ changes in each iteration. Since I cannot repeat the sampling under identical conditions I cannot use the usual central limit theorem to approximate the experimental mean by a Gaussian and perform typical Gaussian hypothesis tests.

You can imagine this as having $N$ biased coins, each bias being different, and the coins may not be independent. First I throw $N_A$ of the coins, which conditions the possible outcomes of the second set $B$.

How can I test my null hypothesis under these restrictions?

More details of the problem: I am dealing with a problem in quantum mechanics, having a state of $N$ spins that might be entangled (thus non independent variables). The data corresponds to measuring part of the system first (subsystem $A$), thus collapsing the whole state and conditioning the possible outcomes of the rest of the system (subsystem $B$). Because the set of possible outcomes for subsystem $A$ is very large and because when I measure I destroy the state, sampling two times subsystem $A$ and obtain the same result is highly unlikely.

Thank you very much in advance! Any idea or suggestion is highly appreciated!

Login To add answer/comment