1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to wire headphone switch correctly in audio amp (LM4875) circuit?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Chu, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Chu

Chu Guest

I'm working on a circuit for a small audio device and I'm a bit confused about the headphone jack wiring, I hope someone can shed me some light. I'm using the LM4875 because I have a speaker and a headphone jack in the circuit, so when the headphone is connected the speaker output will stop, switching to the headphone output with the correct amplification.

I want to use a standard DIP stereo jack for the output, but I'm not sure how to wire it.

Below I'm attaching an image of the example in the LM4875 datasheet, with added arrows for indicating pins:

[​IMG]

And below an image of my stereo jack's symbol:

[​IMG]

I understand that P1 is connected to ground (sleeve), but in relation to P2 and P3 I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the schematics for audio jacks. I imagine that P2 that is carrying the signal could be the ring and P3 the tip, but if I connect it like this wouldn't the output be mono, to the right earpiece only? The same mono signal has to output stereo for the headphones.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

Login To add answer/comment