1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to securely map messages to points on an elliptic curve

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ThePlasmaRailgun, Oct 8, 2018.

1. I'm implementing a demonstration hybrid cryptosystem in Python (FinCrypt, I know the name is bad) and I'm migrating over from my Weierstrass curve implementation, which was based off of this, to one based on Edward's curves from here.

However, I'm at a loss when it comes to mapping a message onto an element of the elliptic curve, and I noticed that the implementation I'm currently using doesn't require the message to be mapped, at least to my knowledge.

I was wondering three things:
    1. Do I have to map a message, or is it possible to do something like I've already got going with Edward's curves
    2. Is my current implementation of the ElGamal part insecure because it doesn't map messages and instead takes an integer?
    3. If I do have to implement a mapping for security, how would you reccomend I map message values to points, and how should I figure out the maximum message size based on my curve?

Thanks for all your help.

Continue reading...