1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gravitational time dilation and distance

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Jeroen D Stout, Oct 8, 2018.

1. If I have a light clock in the centre of the earth, and one at a distance from the earth, two observers at the clocks will agree that the inner-earth clock runs slower.

But if we'd look with a magic telescope at each-other's clock, we'd agree that the photons bouncing between the mirrors are travelling at c.

As far as I can work out, that implies that either:

1. From the far-away clock's perspective, the inner-earth clock is larger, so that it takes photons longer to bounce between mirrors. I.e., dropping a clock to the centre of the earth makes it 'bigger' from the dropper's perspective.
    2. From the far-away clock's perspective, the inner-earth clock has mirrors which are constantly moving (like velocity time dilation).

I have seen the Schwarzschild metric quite often as an answer to this sort of question. I certainly understand that the inner-earth clock would tick less frequently. But that is not really the question.

If I looked with the magic telescope at the inner-earth clock the path of the photons must be different in some way for us to agree on c. Is either of my two implications above correct?

Login To add answer/comment