1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effects of regular rock climbing on instrument play

Discussion in 'Social' started by 021, Oct 8, 2018.

1. 021

021 Guest

Related : Is it bad for a piano player to work out?

The SE question linked above actually reminded me of a story about a guitar teacher that used to rock climb regularly but quit as he felt his climbing activity hindered his guitar play.

As an occasional climber and a guitar player, I wondered about this story for quite a time. The answers in the question above claimed that working out should not be a problem for piano playing. But what about rock climbing ? Climbing definitely put some hard pressure to your fingers, and anyone who had ever rock climbed know that you feel that a numbness lingers in the fingers quite some time after climbing (several hours usually).

Does rock climbing hinder, in the long-term, your finger dexterity, hence your instrument play ? If yes, how, and how much ?

I'm more interested in the lingering effects from climbing exposure on the fingers (or arms), not so much about the injury risk from fall/mishap (of course if you crush your fingers on a rock it will seriously hinder your play). Though they're not totally out of the question either.

For the instrument, I obviously think about the guitar, although I guess this question could be extended to any instrument that requires some finger dexterity, like the piano.

EDIT : this is what I mean when I write 'climbing' : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_climbing

Login To add answer/comment