1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition and Origin of "Kettlestone"

Discussion in 'Language & Culture' started by VampDuc, Oct 8, 2018.

1. VampDuc

VampDuc Guest

This turned up in my Tumblr dash yesterday.

I work at a state park where we have some rather large grindstones/kettlestones set up around our visitor center. I get this question almost every day from 70 year old elderly folks, to 40 year old parents, to 5 year old children, even though we have giant posters explaining that they are very round rocks that helped carve out our potholes/kettleholes years ago.

Source

I cannot find any reference to the word "kettlestone" beyond Kettlestone, England.

So, my question is

1. Is "kettlestone" an accepted word with an accepted definition?

What my research has turned up:

• I've searched multiple dictionaries, Wikipedia, and etymonline.com and have found no reference to this word.
    • I did find kettle hole. A kettle hole is a shallow, sediment-filled body of water formed by retreating glaciers or draining floodwaters, according to Wikipedia. This suggests that a kettlestone is a naturally occurring stone which digs out the hole.

As a tacked on question: Can a grindstone be a natural formation? My definitions say no, but combining it with kettlestone is confusing.

Login To add answer/comment