1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curie point temperature and effect on induced magnetization

Discussion in 'Physics' started by user1707828, Oct 8, 2018.

1. user1707828

user1707828 Guest

My question is related to how the induced magnetization of a material behaves above the Curie Point Temperature. My understanding was always that the thermoremanent component of magnetisation is lost but the induced component remains i.e. above the Curie Point Temperature magnetization is non-permanent.

This seems to conflict however with studies that have used the induced magnetisation, assuming negligable remanent component, to derive the thickness of the Earths 'magnetic layer', which they relate to the depth to the Curie Point temperature. This suggests that all magnetization is lost above the Curie Point?

My expectation would have been that for a material with no remanent magnetization, induced magnetization would be in the direction of the ambient field above the Curie Point temperature, with the same magnitude if it were below the Curie Point magnetization. Though this doesn't explain why the induced field can be related to the depth at which the Curie temperature occurs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Login To add answer/comment